Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Girls of Riyadh


2 out of 5 Stars
Girls of Riyadh: A Novel
Author - Rajaa Abdullah Alsanea
I had a hard time reading this book for several reasons. First, it was never intended to be translated into English and by doing so I'm sure the author had to provide tons of extra passages of explanation about Arabic culture to the english speaking readers. Second, I'll openly admit that it is not a well written book (in English)-- it reads like a middle school essay on 'how I spent my summer'. But that aside, this was an interesting exploration into a culture that I know very little about, even after traveling to United Arab Emirates. I had absolutely no idea just how much more strict Saudi culture is. The author is very opinionated about Saudi Arabia and the way 'love' is percieved in Islamic culture. But she never openly critiques it, more she just whines and complains that love is hard and causes pain (and isn't this true worldwide?). She aims to be an Arabic Candace Bushnell but given the circumstances she can't pull it off. And not because the characters' simply aren't permitted by law to live and love the way the well known SATC girls do. But because the author lacks words and descriptions and emotions to adequately write about love. It's a worthwhile read if you are looking to learn more about the Islamic culture. But otherwise, skip it

No comments: